NEW JERSEY HIGHER EDUCATION STUDENT ASSISTANCE AUTHORITY
The New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority's (HESAA) mission includes, in part, providing New Jersey students and families with financial resources such as loans, grants, scholarships and college savings programs to assist students in achieving their educational goals.
Protecting the privacy of your personal information is important to us at HESAA. We respect your right to privacy and recognize our obligation to keep information about you secure and confidential. We do not sell or share information about you with outside marketers.
- We collect and receive nonpublic personal information about you. This includes information such as your name, Social Security Number, birth date, assets, and income. We collect this information from the following sources: information we receive from you on loan applications, promissory notes, NJBEST account applications, correspondence, communications and other forms;
- Information about your transactions with us or others with respect to your student loan from parties such as your lender(s), loan servicers and the U.S. Department of Education and their agents;
- Information received from schools you attend or formerly attended, or to which you have applied for admission; and
- Information received from credit reporting agencies and public record, used to verify your identity, to assess creditworthiness, or to better understand your need for products or services.
- We do not disclose any nonpublic personal information about you or our other current or former customers to anyone, except as permitted by law (we do share such information with our contractors and agents, and to schools, lenders and the U.S. Department of Education, as needed, to administer our programs in conformity with applicable laws and regulations, including Gramm Leach Bliley Act, 15 U.S.C.A. 6801, et seq.).
- We restrict access to nonpublic personal information about you to our employees, contractors, and agents who need to know the information in order to provide service to you, such as servicing and recordkeeping for your account and collecting your student loan. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in compliance with federal regulations to safeguard your nonpublic personal information.
- We do not sell, trade, or disclose nonpublic personal information about you to any unauthorized non-affiliated third parties. However, we may share your information with outside companies that provide essential services like data processing or servicing accounts; when the disclosure is legally required; or when you have authorized the disclosure of information.
- Protecting the confidentiality of and securing your nonpublic personal information is very important to us. Therefore, we have implemented several security measures to protect your personally identifying information from loss, misuse, or alteration. We are in compliance with the applicable provisions of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 and the detection and prevention of identity theft provisions of the Federal Trade Commission’s Red Flag Policy Regulations of 2008.
- We use physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your information including firewalls, data encryptions, password and authenticated access to internal databases; we enforce physical access control to our buildings and our files; we authorize access to personal information only for those employees who require it to fulfill their job responsibilities.
- We destroy any nonpublic personal information in our possession once it becomes unnecessary.
- We notify all customers of any security breach regarding nonpublic personal information.
Effective Date: December 1, 2008