The New Jersey World Trade Center Scholarship benefits dependent children and surviving spouses of New Jersey residents who were killed in or who died as a result of the terrorist attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001 or who died as result of illness caused by exposure to the attack sites.
- Recipients may attend any Title IV eligible college or university in NJ or out-of-state
- Be a child or spouse of an individual who was a NJ resident on September 11, 2001 and who was:
- killed in the terrorist attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001
- died as a result of injuries received in the attack
- died as a result of illness caused by exposure to the attack sites
- declared missing and officially presumed dead as a result of the attack
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Be a full-time, undergraduate student
- Eligibility to apply is limited to eight years from the date of the child's high school graduation and eight years from the date of death for the spouse
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Not have received the maximum allowable number of payments. For example: eight semesters of payment for a regular four-year degree program; five semesters of payment for a regular two-year degree program.
How Do I Apply?
- Fall and Spring term - October 1 of the academic year for which aid is requested
- Spring term only - March 1 of the academic year for which aid is requested
- Application will be made available by July, 2014
*Required Medical Documents for Verification
Appropriate documentation must be forwarded to HESAA to establish that a person who had direct contact with the September 11th attack sites died as a result of illness caused by exposure to the attack sites includes:
- Proof that the deceased was a New Jersey resident on September 11, 2001.
- An original or certified copy of the death certificate, or an accurate and complete photocopy of the original or certified copy of the death certificate.
- A letter from the deceased's physician stating the cause of death; and
- Proof that the deceased was registered with an appropriate state or federal registry, including but not limited to:
- The Victim's Compensation Fund;
- The World Trade Center Medical Monitoring & Treatment Program; or
- The World Trade Center Health Effects Treatment Program at Mount Sinai.
Need Additional Information?
Call our Customer Care Center: 609-584-4480
Monday thru Thursday 8:00 am until 8:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am until 5:00 pm