Governor's Urban Scholarship Program
The Governor’s Urban Scholarship Program provides a merit award to students in 14 designated high-need communities in New Jersey.
Annual awards up to $1,000 are available for qualified students. The scholarship is renewable annually based upon continued eligibility and available funding.
- Rank within the top five (5.0) percent of their class and have at least a 3.0 GPA at the end of their senior year of high school.
- Reside in one of the designated high-need communities listed below:
|City of Camden
||City of Trenton|
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Be a permanent New Jersey resident for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to enrollment
- Be registered with Selective Service System (if required)
- Be enrolled full-time in an approved degree or certificate program
- Attend an approved New Jersey college, university or degree-granting proprietary school
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress to qualify for renewal
- Complete a FAFSA each year within established deadlines and meet all program requirements including, a New Jersey Eligibility Index (NJEI) below 10500.
Applying for the Scholarship
Candidates are selected for consideration by their high school based upon standard academic criteria in the fall of their senior year in high school. Award recipients are notified of their potential eligibility in their senior year of high school.
Students must complete a FAFSA each year within established deadlines and meet all program requirements including a New Jersey Eligibility Index (NJEI) below 10500. The Governor's Urban Scholarship award eligibility will be reflected on the Student Eligibility Notice (SEN).
Students do not apply directly to this program. Interested students should contact their high school guidance counselor for more information.
Students must attend an approved New Jersey college, university or degree-granting proprietary school.
Please click on the link to view the "List of Approved Colleges and Universities."
NJ County Colleges
NJ Four-Year Public Colleges and Universities
NJ Private Colleges and Universities
NJ Proprietary Degree-Granting Schools
Need Additional Information?
Call our Customer Care Center: 609-584-4480
Monday thru Thursday 8:00 am until 8:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am until 5:00 pm